THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, September 25, 2009

Stereotypes in Disney

The first article is one I actually stumbled on over the summer. I watched "Dumbo" with my siblings for old-time sake and found myself thinking, "HOLY CRAP?!"...for lack of a better term. The latter two I found during our "Mickey Mouse Monopoly" unit, before watching the documentary of the same name.

"The Disney Copyright" video is something my friend Rose's dad showed us "for kicks". This was after I wanted to show her the SNL skit, "Alladin and Jasmine's 10th Anniversary."

(Since only the script was a available online, we tried acting it out with the original, "Whole New World" song...Not nearly as authentic. Wish I had a video to share. >.>) Last, I found the end of "Mickey Mouse Monopoly" on YouTube, because I'm that much of a dork and didn't want to wait to watch the end.

-The 9 Most Racist Disney Characters (According to http://www.cracked.com/. I am in agreeance to many of these statements with a few exceptions. Sebastian is actually depicted as loyal, hardworking, and peristant in Disney's "The Little Mermaid." King Louie in "The Jungle Book" was voiced by a popular Italian singer.)

-A Blogged Response - to "The 9 Most Racist Disney Characters" (Raises a few excellent points, mainly the one regarding "The Little Mermaid" and "Jungle Book."

-6 Famous Characters You Didn't Know were Rip-offs (This references, The Lion King, which has many eerie similarities to the Japanese cartoon, "Kimba The White Lion." Too many, in my opinion, to be a coincidence. Further research on my part determined that "The Lion King" was originally a be a remake. My best guess is that when the rights to "Kimba" were lost, Disney was therefore unable to obtain them. Denying all prior knowledge of "Kimba" prevented them from scrapping the project. Claiming full credit for the box office hit was simply an added bonus. On a note completley unrelated to Disney, I feel calling Batman a rip-off of Zorro is a bit of a stretch....)






0 comments: